All photos ,video clips
etc. on this site are the property of Gogouyave.com and must NOT
be re-distributed or published without proper authorization.
The sea in the harbour rose violently and rushed unto the Carenage.
The wave was experience along the west coast as far north as the town
of Gouyave, where it appears to have attained its maximum imension,
raising so high at Douglaston Estate as to cover the Bridge at the mouth
of the river destroying the cane fields. Major damages were done to the
L’Anse. At and again at there were heavy earthquakes.
December 3rd, 1882, the formal opening of the wooden jetty at Gouyave took place
· In August of 1888, a branch of the Saving Bank was open at Gouyave
Revenue Office along with mail services later in the year.
· September 9th 1889 , severe flooding along the West coast as a result of
heavy rainstorms. The Gouyave and St. Mark’s River overflowed their
banks and cause considerable damages,
sweeping through the town of
· 1890, July the water works was open
· 1892, the main road from Gouyave to Grenville across the middle of the
island was completed.
· 1896, the rainfall was very heavy for that year 100 inches being recorded in the south and 201 in the centre. On 15th November of that year the river embankment at Gouyave was seriously damaged by flood.
· 1897, was the fourth
consecutive year in which destructive floods occurred in
mouth of the
· 1889 in the latter part
of that year Iron bridge were completed for Gouyave and
· 1899, August 6th the Gouyave Anglican church was struck by lighting.
· 1901, the
1911, September 24th
& 25th severe storm resulting in heavy rains damaging the
roads and cultivations in Gouyave and
· 1921, September 8th
· Friday 4th October 1946, severe rainstorms in Grenada, 15 persons were
1944, August 5th
and never heard of again. 56 passengers on board.
. September 22nd 1955, Hurricane Janet struck Grenada created heavy damages on the island and killing dozen
In 1946 the population
of Gouyave was 2,004
things of importance:
office in Gouyave, St.John’s , (Liberty Hall)
, (Liberty Hall)
A.R.L. Miller Vice President
Agnes Lewis, Secretary
The establishment of the Grenada Co-Operative bank in 1932 and provision of sick benefits to members in 1930 of the Grenada Labour Party.
from the Grenada