HOME   #About Gouyave    #Icons    #Places Of Interests   #Photo Room  #Short Stories and Poem  #Events     #Disaster Preparedness    

 #Death Announcements     # Talkshop  #Guest Book   #Blog    #Chat Room    #Links     #Nick Names      #Scholarship Fund    #Contact us


All photos ,video clips etc. on this site are the property of Gogouyave.com and must NOT be re-distributed or published without proper authorization.

History of Gouyave

Significant Dates

Taken from the: Grenada Handbook and Directory of 1946


·      On Monday November 18th 1867 Grenada gave proof of her volcanic  origin and tendencies. Between 5 and 5.20pm the sea having been previously very calm, a sudden drop of the water in the St. George’s harbour took place. The sea falling about 5ft and exposing the reef in front of the lagoon and near by areas. Within a few seconds, with a slight rumbling noise the water over the “Green Hole” an area close to the “spout” began to boil and emit sulphurous vapour.

      The sea in the harbour rose violently and rushed unto the Carenage.   


      The wave was experience along the west coast as far north as the town  

      of Gouyave, where it appears to have attained its maximum  imension, 

     raising so high at Douglaston Estate as to cover the Bridge at the mouth 

     of the river destroying the cane fields. Major damages were done to the 

     L’Anse.  At 9pm and again at 1am there were heavy earthquakes.


December 3rd, 1882, the formal opening of the wooden jetty at Gouyave took place


·     In August of 1888, a branch of the Saving Bank was open at Gouyave  

      Revenue Office along with mail services later in the year.


·     September 9th 1889 ,  severe flooding along the West coast as a result of  

      heavy rainstorms. The Gouyave and St. Mark’s River overflowed their  

      banks and cause considerable damages, sweeping through the town of    

      Gouyave and Victoria and tearing up the roads.


·     1890, July the water works was open


·     1892, the main road from Gouyave to Grenville across the middle of the 

      island was completed.


·     1896, the rainfall was very heavy for that year 100 inches being recorded in the south and 201 in the centre. On 15th  November of that year the river embankment at Gouyave was seriously damaged by flood.


·     1897, was the fourth consecutive year in which destructive floods occurred in Grenada . On November 8th there were heavy rains in St. John’s , flooding the Gouyave River and once more damaging the recently erected boulder bank and again on December 6th further damaging the boulder bank and  destroying the stone bridge at the

     mouth of the Gouyave River .

·     1889 in the latter part of that year Iron bridge were completed for Gouyave and Florida , so was the new boulder bank at Gouyave.


·    1899, August 6th the Gouyave Anglican church was struck by lighting.


·    1901, the Iron Bridge at Grand Roy was Built.


·     1911, September 24th & 25th severe storm resulting in heavy rains damaging  the roads and cultivations in Gouyave and Concord .


·      7th September 1921 , the hottest day in Grenada ’s history 93degree in the  shade and 106 degrees in the open.

·     1921, September 8th Hurricane in Grenada . Other “storms” dates are : 1768 ,1780, 1817, 1872, 1877,1911, 1921,1944 and 1955.


·      Friday 4th October 1946, severe rainstorms in Grenada, 15 persons were 

      killed in Victoria and 13 houses washed away.

·      1944, August 5th schooner Island Queen left Grenada for St. Vincent  

        and never heard of again. 56 passengers on board.


·      May 25th 1944 , General Election held, John Fleming, unopposed, St 

        John’s & St. Mark’s.


.       September 22nd 1955, Hurricane Janet struck Grenada created heavy  damages on the island and killing dozen


·      15th March 1846 , consecration of the Church of St John the divine, Gouyave. (the old RC Church/ School)


·      In 1946 the population of Gouyave was 2,004


Other things of importance:

The Grenada Labour Party, founded in November 1929.


Head office in Gouyave, St.John’s, (Liberty Hall)

Officers were:

Mr. C.A. Grant, President

Mr. A.R.L. Miller Vice President

Mrs. Agnes Lewis, Secretary


The establishment of the Grenada Co-Operative bank in 1932 and provision of sick benefits to members in 1930 of the Grenada Labour Party. 


Taken from the Grenada Handbook 1946