HOME   #About Gouyave    #Icons    #Places Of Interests   #Photo Room  #Short Stories and Poem  #Events     #Disaster Preparedness   

Death Announcements   #Talkshop  #Guest Book   #Blog    #Chat Room    #Links     #Nick Names      #Scholarship Fund    #Contact us

 

                                                    OLD R.C CHURCH WITH COPPER SPIRE

 

 

It is not certain whether this church is the first Catholic Church built in Gouyave, or whether the Anglican Church was the site of the Roman Catholic Church, as the Church had plenty of glebe lands.  However, constructon of this Church started in 1829 and was completed during the 1830ís.

On 15th March 1846 , the consecration of the Church of St John the divine, Gouyave. (the old RC Church/ School) took place. it was converted into a school until sometime around 1974 when signs of falling bricks caused the Church Parish Council to moved the school to the present RC Church and then to the building now housing the Hills View Home and then to the Presbytery.

As a result of the successes of the Catholic Priest in the Town of Gouyave, it was said the Church was so crowded at times that people almost suffocated.  That time also saw an increase in the number of baptisms, communion and confirmation. Thus in order to raise monies for a new church the parish priest organised lotteries and theatrical entertainment in1895. By the end of 1899, construction of the new R.C Church, was completed.   

Building in its compound such as the former Presbytery, was used as the pre-primary school was purchased from the Mc Intyre Family.

1895 to 1899